Sony PSP 5.03 Firmware Update Released

In: Console Games|Gadgets|Hardware|Software|Sony|Video Games

20 Jan 2009

Sony PSP 5.03 Firmware Update Released

Perhaps Sony was listening when they released this upgrade since a lot of people reported having issues with 5.02 – read here for a lot of disgruntled folks.

You know the drill. Fire up your PSP, check for updates and pull down the 5.03 update. It offers better stability for those that had problems with 5.02; which I never had a problem.

People that use downloaded games, custom firmware, or other stuff that rhymes with “Mark Alex” on their Sony PSP need not apply this update. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.

Update: This is more of a security update to fix an exploit via the Gripshift game that worked even on the hard-to-hack PSP 3000 series. If you plan on using that hack on your PSP, don’t update past 5.02.

61 Responses to Sony PSP 5.03 Firmware Update Released

Sony PSP 5.02 Firmware Update Unleashed | remove the labels | Gadgets and Life

January 20th, 2009 at 3:55 pm

[…] Sony PSP 5.03 firmware update released. It’s a security update that closes up a couple of gaps. Do not upgrade if you want to use […]

Nisar

February 4th, 2009 at 4:17 am

I need Help?

Iam Nisar and staying in UAE, Last week just now purchase a new PSP 3004 model & updated 5.03 verion…iam new because i dont know there is only UMD Disk game will work, Now i trying to downloaded game to play in memory stick but huh…….its not working I dont know what to do…please help me….

muhammed

February 4th, 2009 at 7:08 am

thanks

February 4th, 2009 at 9:12 pm

You’re out of luck, Nisar. The 5.03 update is only for the official games that you buy. NOT for the downloaded games.

Annas

February 9th, 2009 at 2:14 am

Hey,i just wants ask that i have updated 5.03 and now i want delet watever,how do i delet 5.03 fireware.

February 9th, 2009 at 3:00 pm

Do you mean delete or uninstall? Seems like people want to uninstall 5.03 for assorted reasons.

If delete, then go to Game > Memory Stick > then delete the Update there.

Nisar

February 12th, 2009 at 2:16 am

Yes William..I think i should get the New PSP 3004 and should not download the latest firmware which is not allowing to play downloaded game….but some genious they will definate find the solution to play a downloaded game…
The UMD games is very costly..nobudy can affort the price so till i wait when the costume firmware will come in the market

February 12th, 2009 at 9:03 pm

If you can’t afford the games, how did you afford the machine? Seriously… makes no sense. Since you’re only after free games, don’t ever use the official firmware updates again.

taavet

March 4th, 2009 at 2:43 pm

how to uninstall the frimware 5.03 i have the same problem

Brandon

March 12th, 2009 at 7:08 pm

update flash player please

Puregreen

March 25th, 2009 at 9:18 pm

Nisar and Taavet,

First, Nisar,

Dont buy the Latist PSP Always use Google its your friend!
the new 300X psp’s are not hackable at the moment due to a new encryption chip embedded in to the CPU and it will not allow you to downgrade evan useing a “Tool Battery” Just Google it, or Better You tube it,
the only hackable psps are 100X (FAT psps)
and half of the 200X (Slim psps)
the 300X range are not hackable at all due to what i mentioned. Encryption Chip…
So the “Tool Battery” will not work on them properly

So im afrad you will need to sell your 3004 and get hold of a old fat one or the 200X ones, i Kept with my 2003 psp and i love it, running CFW 5.00-6 M33 (M33 is the group that hacks the firmware)

I hope that some of this infomation has been helpful to some.. i have been there.. when i started with the PSP buying a 3000 and having to sell it! so i hope this Stops someone doing the same as i did,

As for

Taavet, uninstalling 5.03 or ANY OFW (Ofical firmware) is only possable on the 100X (FAT) or the 200X psp as they are able to use the “Tool Battery” the 300X as i mentione to Nisar are not hackable useing the “Tool Battery”

im not going to explain any more about the “Tool Battery” but al i will say is youtube and Google it and research it! its a God sent! “Pandora” AWAY!

PS if you want more info feel free to add me to msn, [email protected] just make sure you tell me where you are from so i know!

Harish

April 5th, 2009 at 2:34 am

Hello all,

I have purchased PSP 3004 from Dubai, UAE. I have few questions I would be greatful if someone can answer them.

1. After doing some research on google, I found out that PSP 3004 is a European version of PSP. They give these numbers based on region (http://www.trejan.com/projects/psp/) is this true?

2. If yes, then which firmware update should I download? On US site it is mentioned that this update should be downloaded only by people who purchased PSP in North America. So for my europe PSP where I should head?

3. My current firmware version is 4.21 If I installed latest firmware (5.03 from US Playstation site), and if it didn’t work for me, is there a way I can uninstall it and get back to my original version (4.21)?

Juggalo-Rex

April 8th, 2009 at 12:26 pm

I am trying to create an image really huge (about 1.0 GB) of pyamid head on the PSP and copy it on the PSP to crash it maby.

vhone

April 12th, 2009 at 12:01 am

gud day.. to all

ohh the problem of mr. harish my same as my prob.
but in diferent version…….

i got a psp 3004 version 5.00 it is ok to use that version? and w8tng 4 custome firmware….

anyone my help us?>>>
tnkszzz….

realmPOrche

April 12th, 2009 at 12:54 am

excuse me sir..

we deffinitely afford buying psp ONCE.. but not buying more expensive UMD GaMes..
UMD is much more expensive….
psp once you buy it.. it once enough but UMD always huh??
do you think psp must good enough to buy..?
how about for the people buying a psp for gift??
not avryone can afford buying more UMD…
again,, psp can buy once… but UMD you can buy it more do you think it is good?….
humff did u get it my point?

i thank to the genius people who hack the psp old console like psp 2001,becoz of him many people enjoying using a psp and many wanted to purchase it…
i am so glad when i heard that psp can use with a more free games..thats why many people
wanted to have a psp…
one of the reason of psp is to make me happy not to become bored and also to buy more expensive UMD i know that im not the only one but all of us.

psp 3004 just like a ipod…!??? that will happen…becoz this is not already hack with a firmware custome

i think the best solution is to down the price of each UMD games….
im a right?…..?

i am so unlucky to purchase the PSP 3004…T-T

it so sad to know that the psp 3000,3004 wil not playing a game with a custome firmware..
that is not good to use….

April 13th, 2009 at 8:31 pm

Then don’t buy a PSP if you can’t afford the games. It would be the same as buying a car and not being able to afford the petrol/gasoline for it.

yougal500

April 18th, 2009 at 3:13 am

I have a psp 3004 what should i do so that i could play the download games in it?

Vinay

April 23rd, 2009 at 6:54 am

Try this link out, guys. I don’t know how to make this work since I have version 4.21 on my PSP 3004 yet. But apparently, it’s hackable with 5.03 on any PSP 300X.

anthony

May 7th, 2009 at 2:41 am

How to delete PSP firmware Version 5.03? my PSP is 2000 what can i do to go back to normal my PSP..i cant open downlod games starting i update to my PSP that firmware.. pls help me pls….thx

Me

May 7th, 2009 at 9:19 am

Okay, heres the deal. I have an old hacked 1001, and I just downloaded Patapon 2. my firmware is 5.0, and it says I need 5.03. But the problem is, when I check for the update, it says I have the latest version. Please give me some guidance as to what to do.

May 7th, 2009 at 9:27 am

Anthony, use Google. You’ll find more information. “Me”… yep. To play Patapon, you’re going to need 5.03 since 5.0 is not the latest. I’ll assume you’re just like the majority of the other people that have commented and have hacked firmware, so that means you’ll have to reflash with a hacked 5.03.

Good luck with that.

May 7th, 2009 at 11:17 am

PSP dude

May 14th, 2009 at 8:27 am

PSP 3000 is hackable, and you need 5.03 update to hack it, google chickHEN, its a homebrew enabler that works with all PSPs.

damed

May 28th, 2009 at 1:36 am

what will happen if i updated my psp while it’s hacked?

sasuke

May 30th, 2009 at 7:22 pm

with your psp 5.03 you must downgrade with pandora batery you must format your memory stick and download the pandora and after that use your firmware of 5.00 m33 or 3.90 m33 YOU MUST READ THIS IF YOU WANT TO KNOW HOW TO DOWNGRADE

Nitish

June 5th, 2009 at 2:19 pm

i have recently bought a psp 3004 and i want to play downloaded games in it , so if there is any firmware or a software that could run these games please do tell me …………..i will be very greatful to you if u tell me ………thanks a lot……..

Jhet16

June 19th, 2009 at 4:35 am

Dont buy psp3000 save your money just go to gamestop store and buy pre owed psp 1000 or older 2000 that can be hack

Hyperion

June 19th, 2009 at 5:55 am

@Dan

Upgrade your PSP 300x OFW 4.21 to 5.02 then Upgrade again to 5.03..

speakzor

June 23rd, 2009 at 2:50 pm

Aaah, games, they’ve taken so much of my precious lifetime already. I wonder if I’ll get a bonusgame when I die =P

Guest

June 25th, 2009 at 11:37 am

Are there any downloadable games that can be played by psp version 5.03?

franz

July 7th, 2009 at 11:22 am

Hi All, I have psp3004 ver5.03, and also found good samaritan who temporarily modified it so i can use the downloaded games. The only condition is that battery should not be removed in order not to delete the modification. If you are in Dubai, I recommend you to visit the karama center and check all electronic outlet there if they can modify this kind of psp.. sure you’ll find luck just for 10dirhams

gabriel

July 10th, 2009 at 9:59 pm

how do I uninstall version 5.03 for psp if I got the version from a game like resistance, just to tell ya my psp is psp 2000, so how do I uninstall ver 5.03

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kevin

July 25th, 2009 at 5:49 pm

how can i downgrade from 5.51

brendanng

August 4th, 2009 at 4:53 am

help plz i just recently upgrade my vision to 5.03 when its finish upgraded my psp game all gone and my memory stick ‘iso’ file has gone help plz!

odrick

August 20th, 2009 at 5:18 am

i need to remove my psp version 5.03 because i cant play any emulator i install in psp\game\ is no work s talk me wat to do

Marko

August 25th, 2009 at 1:20 pm

hey i got a question, my psp is already hacked and i bought Final fantasy dissidia and i need to update my psp to the 5.03 to play the actual game. if i update it with the Dissidia UMD, will my psp still be hacked???

August 25th, 2009 at 11:49 pm

Marko… nope. You machine if you update with an official firmware will not stay hacked.

christian

September 30th, 2009 at 3:50 pm

psp 3004 version 4.21 is hackable? how?…..

ferdinand

November 13th, 2009 at 7:07 am

pls upgrade my psp 2003 version 4.09.i have a game in memory stick but not working in psp 2003 ver.4.09…pls help me tnx

November 13th, 2009 at 12:13 pm

I assume that you mean that you wish to play downloaded games. If that’s the case, look for the open firmware to enable that capability. Look above to see how you will find that.

Robyn

November 19th, 2009 at 2:25 am

I have a psp 3006 and I am able to play downloaded gameson my memory stick.
You need version 5.03 then download chickhen then download cfw enabler into games memory stick on your psp.
You tube has good clip on showing you how to download chickhen

Good Luck

elijah torres

December 9th, 2009 at 12:57 am

yeah,I’m having the same problem.I just got final fantasy dissidia and I haven’t played my psp in a long time.My psp says I have to update to ver.5.50,and every time I try to update it,it goes slow and it says your battery is low in battery.Can anyone of you give me advice.

RAD

December 28th, 2009 at 7:29 am

V just got PSP3006 for our 7yr old son. Since I have no knowledge about PSP games, thought upgrading the latest version 5.5 will help the PSP to play better. Unfortunately, v r not able to use the memory stick or downloaded games. Is there any way we can go about it, please help… My son is very upset!!!

johny

December 28th, 2009 at 8:25 am

I` ve got the new PSP ver, 6.0 and i muss have 5.03 how can I get this ver. on my PSP and instal.
It writed me unsup. data
please help
I don`t know how to do it ..

Nameless

January 3rd, 2010 at 3:27 am

HI..

I have a fat psp and I want to download free games from the net..
I have some questions:

1) Is the PSP version 5.03 and the fat psp the same??
2) How can I install custom firmware without the pandora’s battery??
3) Do you know some games that is only 30 mb?? or is there a game that is only 30 mb??
4) How do I upgrade my PSP?? Do I need to upgrade it??

I need some answer ASAP!!..

Thanks for helping me…

January 3rd, 2010 at 3:50 am

If you have a fat PSP – PSP-100x series, the upgrades are the same. However, if you want to play free games – this post has become way popular, I might have to detail out how to actually “hack” your PSP to do so, it seems since this is asked a lot, but answered a few times in the comments – you DO NOT WANT to get the Sony 5.03 upgrades (they’re up way higher than that now) then you will want to seek out PSP custom firmware. Some newer games still require higher firmware that’s yet to be hacked; however 5.00 M33 is what you’re more than likely looking for. The custom firmware for 5.50 GEN-D3 seems to have some hiccups in it from what I’ve read, but I’ve yet to use it personally.

Now, with that said, good luck. And if a tutorial on how to do all of this is needed, I’d love to hear from you all. Perhaps I’ll push one out soon.

To answer the rest of your questions, not all games are 1.7gb. I’ve seen some that are indeed 50mb – never 30mb, but I’m not too big on the homebrew scene on downloads – but if I remember correctly, Loco Roco was very small. To install the custom firmware without a pandora battery – that will take some research.

Just a little bit of research will yield all of your answers. Good luck.

Mboy

January 4th, 2010 at 9:56 am

I have a psp 3004,v.5.02..i want to update it to 5.03..but all the updates is err0r..maybe this can only be updated through umd updates..i put EBOOT.PBP on a PSP,GAME,UPDATE folder.when updating on process its says game cannot be started (80020148) whats wr0ng?

Adi

January 9th, 2010 at 3:56 am

i have psp 3004 i just want to load games on my psp . i m new to it . can pls anyone tell me how to load games in it becz Umd is so costly PLSZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ HELP!

January 9th, 2010 at 3:20 pm

Adi, do some research about custom firmware. If you think that the UMD is costly, then the machine costs are even higher.

Anyway, do the research on the aforementioned 5.50 GEN D3 firmware and Pandora battery.

amir

January 25th, 2010 at 6:50 am

i have psp3004 n it only support umd game n not stored game in memory stick .how can i able to use mem. stick games ?
and what is the procedure to make it happen?

January 25th, 2010 at 6:55 am

Amir, read the above comments. Go get a custom firmware if you want to play games from your memory stick. Google it, I even mentioned the right version above 5.50 GEN D3. Start there, read up.

Or if there’s enough mentions about it, then I’ll produce a how-to or find one that’s easy enough since it seems to be something most folks cannot fine.

Let me know.

natraj

February 7th, 2010 at 1:09 am

i recently bot sony psp 3006, for my daughter. I cannot download the games.
Is there any solutions to it please help me.

February 7th, 2010 at 1:15 am

You’ll need custom firmware. Read the above comments, it’s been pointed out by name quite a few times. You will have to flash with the custom firmware since you want to download and play games that way.

Take the time, read. It’ll be worth it since you don’t want to pay for the games. Good luck.

natraj

February 7th, 2010 at 2:03 am

is any one does the modification for psp3006 in Abu Dhabi? someone mentioned that you need the version 5.03 then download chickhen the download cfw enabler into games memorystick on the psp.

is this really solve my problem

Muhammad Qasim

February 10th, 2010 at 2:52 am

chary

February 20th, 2010 at 11:06 am

hi there every one…

i just bought a psp 3004 version 6.0 a couple of days ago..

problem is the games software is not yet available in the market.. im having problem now how to download games.. any suggestions please? this is my first time to buy that gadget for my nephew.. could somebody out there tell me what is the best thing to do? its is well appreciated..

im waiting for the reply.. a big thanks…

reymond

March 9th, 2010 at 12:43 am

i have my psp slim i dont know wat is the version iforgot..its 5.03, and when i download a game, and check in my memory stick , it says that there are no games..why?? in wallpapers, music, and others are ok..but not in games..will somebody help me?? sory for my english im a pinoy…

carl

April 12th, 2010 at 3:34 am

hi alll…my psp frmware is 6.20 i just updated it last week,,,you know i just did the damnest thing with that bullshit update,,how can i downgrade it>>>>????awhere can i buy a pandora?since im here in abu dhabi…could anyone help me please???

adrian

April 21st, 2010 at 1:18 am

guddAY! TO ALL

ihave a question to my psp 2006 ver.5.03 when i put games on my memory stick there will be a games on game section now when i turned off my psp and i turn it back in the game section my games i downloaded is missing….

Erica

May 11th, 2010 at 10:17 am

i have asked the person which i bought my psp from, he told me that i cant downgrade my psp from 5.03 to 5.00. mine is a psp slim 2000 , 5.03 running on the firmware chickhen. i am completely clueless now. can i actually downgrade to 5.00 so i dont need to run the psp on the chickhen firmware? is giving me problems and i cant put photos in my psp. i dont really play the lastest game as i only stick to a few games that i like. it is possible that i downgrade? i dare not try because my psp have given me enough problem..

May 11th, 2010 at 10:26 am

You can downgrade; however it’s an odd procedure. I’ve not dealt with the homebrew scene in a while; but it can be done. Just not easily.

Sponsors

HardCE.com - Apple iPhone and iPod Touch cases, solar cases and battery cases Far and Beyond - All-Natural Body and Health Products
Advertise with Remove The Labels Smartlive Try RingCentral Fax FREE for 30 Days Save In 2010 at Woodpellets.com 125x125 Run Windows on Mac OS X with no reboot! Logoworks Logo Design

Featured Message

The Internet has come a long way since its inception. There are now several different ways to get an internet connection. One can do this by inserting wireless internet card in computer or can use DSL. Apart from this, internet phones and ip phones are there as well to help people connect internet through phones. Internet telephony is not the last option available, wireless internet providers are there as well to offer internet connectivity.

Hot Deals